Thursday, October 25, 2012

Construction Birthday Cake

I know its been a long time since my last post, but with the holidays right around the corner its the perfect time to jump back into things.  Before I get too excited about the holidays I want to share this birthday cake the I made for my son.  I was very nervous about making it, but it was so fun and really easy to do. 


I started by trimming the top of the cakes to make them flat on top.  Then I put a layer of frosting on the first layer and put the second layer on the frosting upside down.  This gave me a really flat surface to work on. 

 Then I carefully scooped out a corner of the cake with a spoon and frosted the rest of the cake.  It doesn't have to be perfect and smooth because it is a supposed to be a construction cake. 

Then you get to decorate and be creative.  You could use crushed oreos here if you like, but I just wanted to use the cake because I like how it looked.  You will have the cake tops that you cut off plus the cake you scooped from the corner to use.  I also thought the choco rocks added some texture to the cake.  I think they were my favorite part of the cake to eat!!

I had a blast making this cake and was so pleased with how it turned out.  I have also made some delicious treats lately that I am excited to share with you soon!!


No comments:

Post a Comment