Saturday, October 22, 2011

Taco Soup

This time of year I love sitting down with a bowl of warm soup.  I always try to keep everything on hand to make this for dinner because its so easy and comes together very quickly.  It's always a crowd favorite for pot lucks too.  I adapted this from a recipe I collected from one of my cooking classes in college. 

 I am making this ahead to put in my freezer for next week.  We will be traveling and some big adjustments at our house, so I don't want to be stressed out about what to make for dinner.  

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion chopped
1 cup beef broth
1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced but use what you have)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning

In a large pot cook the meat and onion.  Drain fat.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Give it a good stir to combine the spices and then simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes. 

At this point it is ready to serve with your favorite toppings: Sour cream, grated cheese, avocado slices, tortilla chips.

* I will be cooling it completely before storing it in an air tight container in the freezer.  All you have to do is thaw it and reheat it in a stock pot before serving. 

* You can also add diced celery and carrots to the soup to add some vegetables.  Cook them with the meat and onion so they get tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment